Thursday 26 April 2007

Upcoming 2007 album releases

Just a quick post (for a change). Please check out MetaCritic's list of upcoming album releases.

I've said it before, but 2006 was a big disappointment for me music-wise. But look at those big names who have albums scheduled for 2007 (categorised for my amusement):

Artists who have never let me down

Elliott Smith (posthumous collection of rarities and B-sides)
Wilco
Blur (with the exception of their patchy debut Leisure)
Noel Gallagher (first solo album, very exciting stuff)
Oasis (actually...Standing on the shoulder of giants was pretty shite)
Super Furry Animals

I have at least one excellent album of theirs, and I'll be keeping my eye out

Bjork
Interpol
Spoon
Doves
Massive Attack
The Notwist
The Polyphonic Spree
The Streets
The Wrens
Wolf Parade

Clearly past their prime, but they could surprise me

Manic Street Preachers (could they release another classic?)
Travis (expectations set very low)
Coldplay (will they continue down the commercial road?)
The Cure
R.E.M.
U2

Reunion albums (where have they been?)

Crowded House
The Pixies
Portishead
Guns 'n' Roses (not interested, but worth a mention)
The Eagles (not interested, but worth a mention)

Artists who have already released albums (* are the ones I have)

The Shins* (not as good as Chutes too narrow, but a solid album)
The Arcade Fire* (up there with Funeral, a fantastic album)
Air
Apostle of Hustle
Art of Fighting
Bloc Party
Modest Mouse
Rosebuds
Silverchair

--

Seriously, I can't remember a year with so many anticipated releases in a long time. C'mon artists, don't let me down. Let's make 2007 another killer year for music! It is a decade since 1997, and that was a brilliant year for music (one of the best). Will 7 be a lucky number again?

What are your anticipated album releases for 2007?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thats an interesting post. I thought it strange that you neglected to mention releases from a few other of your favourites...ie. Maroon Five and Hanson...

    but, the thing I noticed that interested my most was that Homer was right!!!!

    Dexy's Midnight Runners are listed to release their first album in 22 years...

    As Homer said, we haven't heard the last of them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sing some harmonies here: